Monday, June 08, 2009

The Office - Take 2 - Day 9

As I mentioned in the previous blog, the next major accomplishment for this room is the decorating stage. For the most part we have the elements to decorate with already in hand, but for the room to really look new and fresh, we needed to address our futon.


The problem here is that the cover looks filthy. It isn't. It is actually pretty clean and gets laundered fairly regularly, but the pattern itself has worn out from use both as a couch and a bed. Ahh, you gotta love the futon. Mostly, though, you can tell that the cover was most heavily used, and loved, in the center of the pattern, where the blacks have faded to muddy browns and the creams have disintegrated into beige. You can tell what the pattern used to look like at the edges, especially on the right hand side.


So, it must go. Step one, make futon a bed for ease of removing cover.


Step two remove cover.


Step three, inspect mattress prior to new cover installation.


Step four, replace with brand new cover that matches the new color scheme of the room and is made of a sturdier material. Step five, position futon as bed again.


Step six, push back against wall. Step seven, accessorize.


Once the new futon cover and accouterments were in place, it was time to address one of the walls. One of the many things that I have learned from HGTV is that storage can be found in lots of places and with lots of clever solutions. In this particular case, we decided that this wall space could be used to store, display, and allow easy access to some of our possessions that are not used enough and are also hard to store well.


So we started with the Ibanez base.


Moved to my Fender Squire.


Followed by SPF's Samick.


And lastly SPF's Art and Lutherie acoustic. (As a side note, if you are in the market for a really wonderful acoustic steel string, this guitar is phenomenal. It holds tune tremendously well and has a rich, full tone. Highly recommended. Canada rules.)


This is the view from the other side of the room. It actually looks better in person. I sort of love this wall. And, as the desired result, we played each of them in the process of putting them up. What I really learned is that I need to play my base more and actually learn a real baseline rather than making one up. Although, making them up is awesome.


As of yet unhung is SPF's ukulele. We thought that the guitar holders wouldn't accommodate the small neck and head of the uke, but it turns out that we were wrong. As soon as I make it back out to Guitar Center, we should have another lovely addition to the fantastic new wall. SO GREAT! Honestly, I think I am going to play right now and then head up to the piano as well. I am trying to learn some Rachmaninoff and freshen up some Burgmuller on the piano, trying to remember my Beatles on the guitar (which SPF just repaired for me), and I have discovered that I love to play Sittin' On the Dock of the Bay. I sing along with what SPF calls a "bluesy voice." I am not even really certain how the vocals go and am making it up as I go along. So, I'm a vocal experimenter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home