Monday, May 25, 2009

The Office - Take 2 - Day 1

I know, I know. You are all thinking, didn't you just finish the office?? Well, yes and no. Since the office reorganization in January, quite a lot has happened. The most major event would be that I moved out of my Santa Barbara apartment and back down to SD full time. This is a big deal for a lot of reasons, not only that I get to spend more time with my husband or that I am unemployed or that I stay home all day, but that all of my accumulated stuff from up there is now down here. If you recall, when we did the original reorganization of the office (and subsequent remodel of the office closet) it was to better utilize the space that we had, which was minimal. Now we have to fit another 300 sq ft of life into this place. A life that I lived in SB for three years. I lived fairly thinly up there, but I did grow to fit the space.

The main obstacles that we have to incorporate into this space would be the futon, the equipment, and all the books. The office closet now accommodates all of the equipment. I know, I'm as surprised as you are. If there was one thing I didn't skimp on when I was in school it was the equipment. So . . . what to do? We felt that another remodel/reorganization was in order.

The starting conditions. (If you look back at The Office blog in January you will see almost the same picture, but with more carpet and less TVs in the middle of the floor.)



One of the things that we realized is that we have hated this room for a long time, for a lot of reasons. The first, which you can't really tell above, but more so below, is that the room is painted this very faint, very sickening shade of white tinted with green. It was subtle, so much so that you actually think you are crazy to think that it is green, but it is. You just know it. In your bones. It is horrid. So, first on the list - repaint the room an awesome color.

The second issue that we have had is that this room has all rounded corners. I don't necessarily have anything against rounded corners. My father's house has them and it is a lovely house. But, my father's house has them consistently, throughout the house, and done well. Ours, not so much. This is the only room with rounded corners, and not every corner even in the room is round. This archway here and the edge around the window are rounded. It is maddening if you are OCD like my husband and I both are. So, second on the list - fix the corners.


And so, yet another project turns from a relatively easy concept (painting) to a full on demo, drywall patching, mud slinging extravaganza. We certainly do know how to balloon our work load. So, the demo begins . . .


Third on the list seems simple enough, but will take some creative thinking. Third is that we need more space in this room. Lots more. Enough to put a futon comfortably against a wall in such a way as it can be utilized as a guest bed. I'll get back to you on that one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home