Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Home Body

I have become something I never wanted to be. I cannot find a job that I can actually take and want to take. I am not being picky here, but I think it is important that I find a job either in photography or teaching and most of those jobs I either don't ft the qualifications or they are too far away for me to feasibly apply. Different state far away. Different country. And I am feeling more and more of this pressure to make good on the promise to myself and others that this degree would lead to something. That I would be the better for the time spent, the frustrations endured, the pain, the money, the choices. And here I am, not producing. Not making any money with my hundred thousand dollar education.

I am frustrated equally by the money and tribulations as I am by the failed principles at work. I promised myself that I wouldn't squander this education. When I got my first degree I hit a bump in the road and got scared off the road (Physics) and then got a little bored and stopped working (Senioritis) and ended up with a 3.75 when the honors cutoff was 3.76. I know that may not seem like squandering to you, but had I achieved the easy A in linguistics that I very easily could have gotten, I would have that golden rope. I would have actually been in the top ten percent that I deserved, prior to my poor behavior. I would have been demonstrably worthy.

Yes, these things matter to me. This is why I have a 3.99 GPA now. Over the last three years I have gotten two A-'s. One the session that my grandfather died and I missed a week of classes (keep in mind these classes are seven weeks long) and one in Art History that I still don't know how I could have done better. I don't regret either of them because I never stopped trying. I did my best work for everyone, for every assignment. And if I didn't pass an assignment I reshot it, every time. There isn't a single assignment in the undergraduate program that I didn't pass. There isn't anything that I skimped on, any time when I fell down in my duties as a student.

But now look at me. None of that seems to have mattered. The dedication that I applied, and have always associated with success because that is always what I was told, hasn't led to anything. Out of my classmates, I am not one of the ones that is employed. I haven't been published. I haven't won any contests, been in any juried shows. Even in art, it has always been a balance of talent and hard work that has been the recipe for success. That was always what I was told. But I am getting more and more tired and more and more poor. At this rate, my husband and I can live for another 3.5 months before we need a second income to pay the bills. 3.5 months. Maybe I screwed myself over with my BA too much to recover now. Maybe I should have been a physicist. Maybe I should have stuck that out and the fact that I didn't means that my potential was squandered ten years ago when I left the program when I was third in the class. Now, I am merely another graduate student with excessive student loans and absolutely nothing to show for any of it.

2 Comments:

At 7:31 AM, Blogger JQ said...

You've picked an artistic field. Sometimes as artists we must take "day jobs" to bridge the gap between doing what we love and paying the bills.

As far as I an tell, the successful artists do not let circumstance take them away from their art - not entirely. I work 8 hour days right now, and when I'm lucky I squeeze 5 hours of writing in as well. When I'm not lucky it's 1-2 hours, but that is my priority.

Life is not easy. Being an artist, having an artist life - that's a fight for every day, every creative victory.

Be your own cheerleader - you cannot count on external sources to provide that for you. If you can seek your own validation rather than external validation, your path will be TRUE - you will know you are making the art that speaks to you. And you must be your first audience if you want your work to speak to anyone.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Moose Tucker said...

I understand that, but it is still tremendously frustrating. I just don't understand how anyone makes this work without connections of some kind. My network of instructors is phenomenal, but they can't get me a job at BI and they don't have lots of connections outside of that. Which means that I am left to fend for myself in a world where who you know seems to be the only thing that matters.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home