Wednesday, June 03, 2009

The Office - Take 2 - Day 5

Admittedly there was a brief hiatus on progress while I returned to my MFA coursework, but this is the fifth day of work, so we continue. First things first, I primed the wall with the window, but I didn't like the results. The primer revealed some flaws with the skip trowel that I had done and I couldn't paint that wall. SPF later fixed this last night, but I was forced to alter my plan for the day and switch to the second wall. I added the painting tape around the doorway and the archway and started to prime with grey primer. (It is best for darker colors as it makes them more vibrant.) I wrapped the initial primer and paint color around the edges of the wall to be sure that there won't be any blank spots where the two paint colors meet. I want to be darn sure that green is gone. Forever.



Partially into my priming, Isis started to cry and cry and cry. Normally she is a very quiet cat and the only reason that she was in the room at all is because she has been fighting with Osiris and I didn't want to force the two of them to share space while I was priming. At first I ignored her, thinking that, despite what awaited her, she might actually just be lonely. But she persisted. So I started looking for her. The room is inverted at the moment. All of the furniture is in the middle of the room, which makes for excellent cat hiding places. I looked for her, but couldn't find her. Until the crying became frantic. At which point I realized that she was above me. On top of my photo cabinet. Call me cruel, but I grabbed the camera first and then proceeded to drag her, clawing and scraping, off of the top of the shelf. Then I just held her so that she would stop thrashing so that I could safely step down off the ladder. She purred and purred and purred. She couldn't figure out how to get down.


After that little incident I finished priming the walls and timed out how long it would be before I could apply the first paint color. In the time I had I decided to run some errands, so I went to the vet to get cat food, went to the bank, went to Home Depot for some more primer and paint, and then went to lunch. On my way back from lunch I went to the grocery store to fill up on essentials. For some reason our house has been out of basics for some time.


At that point, the primer had had more than enough time to dry, so I applied the first layer of paint. I shook the can before I opened it, but I don't think I mixed it up very well, so this layer seemed kind of thin in places. It may actually take three coats. No worries, I applied the first as best as I could, mixing the paint in the tray before applying it, and then covered every surface. At that point in time I reviewed our finances and paid bills and wrote a few emails that I needed to send. SPF got home and applied more joint compound with his patented technique and then, since there was nothing else we could do at the moment, we went to see Up. Beautiful film. I highly recommend it.


And so the first coat of our accent wall looks like this. I know it seems bold, but I like it. There is going to be furniture on this wall and art, so it will just have a bit of color in the long run. Either way, though, I think bold is exciting.


I didn't actually recognize that there was a lurking cat in this picture (or in the room for that matter) until I saw this image here. He is quiet, as well. No worries, he seems to avoid the wet paint, although he did have a sheen of wet drywall on his back and tail. The tail I understand, but the back as well?? It's a mystery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home