Monday, September 19, 2005

When in Rome...

I know the rule. When in Rome, do as the Roman's do. This includes eating Roman fare, because Romans know how to make Roman fare, and they do not, persay, know how to make American fare the way that an American would like to see it. I have so far eaten only Chinese food or Chinese takes on Japanese food, but I have steered clear of Western food because I have a pretty clear idea of what should be in Western food.

Today, however, when I ordered the pork and rice and was told that they were out of some ingredient that they needed, I panicked because the waitress was standing right there and I ordered a hamburger. I know what you are thinking, bad idea. Yes. You are correct.

My first indication that there may be a...problem...was the fact that there was ham on my hamburger. I know that this is a strange concept, and we Americans are bizarre creatures who would create such a thing that has no ham, as it were, inside, on, around, or on top of the burger. I thought that this was perhaps an okay oversight and that it might be interesting. There were still the usual accompaniments, such as lettuce, tomato, pickles, and mustard...but then there were some other things that made it a little too exotic to eat. Things like cucumbers, which were just strange, a mystery sauce that was too sweet, and then there was the egg. Yep. The egg. It reminded me of SPF ordering a pizza in Tahiti. It, too, came with a fried egg on top. I don't know why. I don't usually think of Americans as associated with extraneous egg product, but oh well. Eggs galore. It was also sunny side up, which made the whole contraption very difficult to eat. So difficult, in fact, that I abandoned the project and waited until dinner. (See below.)

Ironically, the fries were perfect.

2 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A devoted reader wants to know what might happen if you order a "chicken sandwich" then. Hmmm.
A Chinese friend of mine from grad school claims that "spam" is quite popular there as well. Maybe you had a spam&egg burger!
I'm enjoying your adventures in the orient - love the pics! Safe journeys, hope to see you soon.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger wamez said...

Same thing happened to me in England with a street vendor. I believe my reaction was to refuse to eat it and then pout about it for the next four hours.

I was 10, though, so...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home