Sunday, September 18, 2005

An Irish Lass In King Arthur's China

Excellent question, ears. I am the center of much unwanted attention. I wouldn't mind some of the stares, but they are everywhere and all the time. People driving down the road will speed up and slow down to get a better look. I would say that we "crackers" are not very common at all. Though I will also say that, on average, I am taller, fatter, and have bigger boobs than everyone in China, including the women!!

In the bigger cities people see me as a dollar sign. I have been offered unreleased DVD's, software, electronics, and an IBM computer, all on the street, some more than once.

In the small towns and factories, I don't think they have ever seen a real live white woman before, and some of them act as though I must be famous, and some of them just follow me around to see what I will do. The women will stare and gawk, usually dropping their eyes if I catch them staring at me, but some will keep starring as if deer caught in headlights. The men will strut. They actually strut. Why, I am not sure, though if I smile at them they either panic and leave or smile big, grand smiles that reduce them to little boys whose bluff has been called and no longer keep the stoic expressions.

At the last factory I was actually a conga line. We asked one guy a question and he answered, and then I think he felt he had to stay around in case we had any other questions for him, and then the others wanted to answer questions and be available as well. It was so funny that I laughed out loud and they all stood up straight and nudged each other in the ribs. (Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, know what I mean?)

Others approach me as though I am the detriment to their tradition, which I can understand more than some of the other impressions. But when I nod, hand them my business card with both hands and bow slightly, and speak Mandarin, they relax, smile, and I hope see me as a guest instead of an intruder.

I hope that answers your question. Next?

1 Comments:

At 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remembered as soon as I sent my request, but didn't have time then to go back in...the children, tell me about the children! I hope you have the opportunity to see some.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home