Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Made It...Sort Of

So, I must be brief, explanation to follow.

Made it to LAX no issues. Renting a car and driving myself up was a GREAT IDEA (thank you SPF.)

Made it onto the plane to Shanghai no problem. Sat on aforementioned plane for two hours. Started to worry because I had almost exactly a two hour layover to catch my connecting flight.

Had an empty seat next to me, was able to sleep for six of the thirteen hours. Food was...interesting, but good.

Got to Shanghai earlier than expected, with exactly one hour to catch my connection. According to my ticket. Which was apparently obsolete since as soon as I got out of Customs I heard an announcement for the "Last call for MY FLIGHT!"

Panic.

Calm overcoming panic because I MUST NOT MISS THIS PLANE!!

I got to the ticket counter, he said "No." I said, "EEEEEEEE". He said, "Fine, go and talk to number 5."

Number 5 ignored me.

Then he picked up my ticket, looked at it with big eyes, looked at his watch and made four calls that I am assuming were "STOP THE PLANE!" Because he then told me to take all of my bags and RUN to the gate, which was the FARTHEST ONE FROM WHERE I WAS!!

Made it onto the plane. I have now contributed to the "smelly American" stereotype.

Flew to Shenzhen. Got here early, because they moved the flight time up, smart.

Waited for half an hour for Goodman. I'm going to edit the car trip to the hotel because I don't have the patience or the time to describe it now.

Got to the glorious 5 star hotel, finally. Except that Goodman did not ACTUALLY book me a room.

Started to call around to other hotels. I am trying to reassure him that it happens to the best of us...the best being ME and not HIM. Calm remains.

And now I am booked in a less than savory, smoking room, away from civilization, not near any shopping that I could do during the day after my checkout time of 12:00, so I will be catching up on my reading while I wait for Goodman to pick me up tomorrow at 5:00 after his conference.

Oh, and the converter I brought that says CHINA right on the side does not work in China, so my computer is about to die and I will not have any way to charge it unless I brave the shopping situation tomorrow.

If you don't hear from me again, Don't Panic.

2 Comments:

At 3:38 PM, Blogger JQ said...

Yippee! I hope things go up from here. Is it only the one night in the crap hotel, and WTF was he thinking?! Ah me. Take it easy, my dear...

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Moose Tucker said...

That was an adventure of a day. Getting back was fun, too. I specifically ran to all the right gates because I knew where they were after my first excursion in the Shanghai airport.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home