Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Off to China

I leave for China in less than a week. I am a little nervous, but I guess that is the spice of life. At least I should be able to pack light, since it is going to be hot over there...

I am also hoping to lose some weight. Partially due to the heat, and partially due to the limited cuisine options. Should be interesting. I generally stay away from rice, so I am imagining to fit into the South Beach Diet pretty well over there. Not a lot of bread or potatoes, so that helps, I guess.

I also am DYING to try Kung Fu in a park. I think it would be really fun. And I am told that it is totally common place and I won't look like an idiot or anything!!! (Very different in Vista, CA.)

Sifu said that when he was there (about a month ago) he was trying to ask the woman at the hotel desk where he could go and practice but she didn't speak English, and he didn't speak Mandarin. So they went back and forth for a while, and finally he just said "Kung Fu?" And she smiled and nodded and pointed in the direction of a park that was apparently overflowing with Tai Chi practitioners and various other studiers of Martial Arts. The only reason he would stand out would be that he is Mexican. :)

I want to stand out just because I am an Irish/Polish/Scottish/etc. white girl.

Then again, I don't know how much time I will have to actually do things on my own, and my New Zealand "host" will be with me, so he will probably want to do things together. Not because of my company, but because he is kind of sexist and doesn't think it is safe for someone like me (woman) to be alone in China. He may be right, but then I won't get to do any Kung Fu!!!

Sigh. I never am going to get my blue sash. My staff still sits in the corner, purchased over a year ago and wrapped in Looney Toons Christmas wrapping paper.

8 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger JQ said...

Have a great time in China! We must make plans for when you return! I'm sure they will involve Serenity. :)

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Moose Tucker said...

I shall try. I am taking my Nikon to document everything that I can. I probably won't take it to the audits, though, so I will just have to ensure I get good stuff on the weekends.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger JQ said...

PS - how long are you going to be there?

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Moose Tucker said...

Two and a half weeks. I come back on the 29th...just in time for Serenity. :)

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger JQ said...

Sleep all the way home and you'll be all ready for the movie!

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Moose Tucker said...

Who could sleep knowing the movie was coming out!?!?!? Ahh, who can sleep in "Economy" anyway?

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Moose Tucker said...

So true, sigh. I did manage a good six hours of sleep on the way out, though. Six out of fourteen and a half in flight. Not so bad, considering.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home