Friday, September 09, 2005

Mandarin is Hard

So, I thought that I was doing pretty well with my lessons in Mandarin, ready for some baby steps into the language while I am in the Country for three weeks, but then I got to a new section of the program and they said that "the word for 'to eat' is pronounced with a high, even tone. Repeat 'sur'." Okay. Problem is that I have been repeating 'sur' for two months as a word that means 'to be' AND I CAN'T HEAR THE DIFFERENCE!! So, does this mean that I have been saying "I am eating an American person," instead of "I AM an American person?" THAT IS TERRIBLE!! WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?!?!?

Mandarin is hard. I think I am just going to practice the phrase for "Do you speak English?" over and over and over again.

3 Comments:

At 9:53 AM, Blogger Moose Tucker said...

So I think I learned how to say "I would like to eat something," and "I would like to drink something," and various alterations and combinations such as "No, I would not like to eat something, but I would like to drink something," and "Would YOU like to eat something?" However, at this point I am not sure that I am saying any of it correctly and am afraid of offending someone or their livestock. (No particular reason why I am afraid of insulting livestock, but I have no idea what I am saying, so anything is possible.)

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger JQ said...

Hey Lady!!! You're in CHINA RIGHT NOW AS I TYPE THIS!!! That's so very close to being on the opposite side of the world! I'm picturing you standing upside down under my feet and miles and miles of crust, outer core, inner core, outer core, and crust. Awesome. So what does it feel like to be upside down?!

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Moose Tucker said...

You know, I never tried asking anyone if they would like to eat or drink something, and as far as I know, no one asked me if I would. Hmmm. I wonder if I learned that at all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home