Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Limit

Last night I went to my last sparring class before the tournament. Seeing as how we are very big on preparation at this school, I anticipated that many people would be there. Imagine my surprise when it was just Ms. E and myself. Two people for an HOUR of sparring drills.

There is not a possible way that I can explain the intensity of last night. It was the most exhausting, sweaty, draining, and incredibly painful experience that I have ever had. It is amazing, however, that you can have no energy, have no more push left, and still find some. Your mind can actually force your body to such extremes that you probably actually could run yourself to death.

There is a Gatorade commercial airing right now that shows this triathlete at the end of his marathon pushing himself so far that his body actually short circuits. It is the craziest thing I have ever seen. One minute he is running (not walking, running) and then he just stutters in his step and falls backwards shaking intensely.

I am not proclaiming to have driven myself that far last night, but I can tell you that I drove myself harder than I ever had for the entire hour and the SECOND that we closed class, both Ms. E and I LITERALLY collapsed onto the ground. If I had had the state of mind, and the sense of humor, I would have made a sweat angel on the mat. As it were, there was just a sweat corpse.

At the end of my last bag work, I was so intensely drained that I couldn't lift my 8oz. gloves. I just couldn't do it. And then Ms. E told me to push through to the end and I saw, rather than commanded, my arms flying into the bag for the last ten seconds which, I might add, was the LONGEST TEN SECONDS OF MY LIFE!!!

I still can't lift my left arm all the way, and typing is a challenge, but it is a very good sore.

8 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Blogger JQ said...

AWESOME. Wow. That's amazing - I have never done that. You rock. Will you be able to spar on Saturday? I can't wait to see you!

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Moose Tucker said...

I HAVE to spar on Saturday, so I guess I will be able to. After last night I am thinking I can do just about anything...especially if it is only for two minutes.

 
At 5:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is exactly the attitude to keep--I CAN DO ANYTHING, especially if it will eventually end! Hold on to that thought. I had a similar, but probably less intense, experience swimming about 5 miles offshore in Florida--not the best venue to use to push yourself to exhaustion! I think we need to push ourselves sometimes to realize we can take a whole lot more than we ever thought--physically, mentally, spiritually, emotionally. It creates quite a high and much needed confidence! Have a wonderful experience on Saturday. If you have a cheering section, know that I am there in spirit!

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Moose Tucker said...

I'm not sure I could swim 5 miles anywhere. That is pretty cool.

 
At 7:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Swim 5 miles??? No, no, no! I was 5 miles off shore, swimming off a boat in about 40 feet of water. But because of the swells, as hard as I swam, I never felt like I was getting any closer to the boat.

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Moose Tucker said...

Ahhhhh, my misunderstanding. I thought that sounded extremely intense...like one of those stories I would have known...

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger JQ said...

You ROCK! Wait until you see the DVD.

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Moose Tucker said...

I can't wait. I actually want to show it to Ms. Brown so that she can see that she rocks as well. She was intense!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home