Monday, February 21, 2005

Fear and Fear Alike

So, my company lost power this morning as I drove into work. My office sits on the manufacturing floor, hundreds of feet away from the nearest natural light source that our production space offers. I was not in my office when the lights went out, as I was not on time to work due to the rain. Thank the great beings that be. I don't mind dark. But dark with no penetration of light is a little bit different. Pitch black, I believe it is called. I couldn't find my doorknob when I did get in to open my office. I had to leave my cavern and head for the open bay door to mingle with the other workers who waited for light.

It is not my story, however, that I tell. I don't even really have a story, but just a sentence. My friend was in the bathroom when the lights went out. No windows, self-closing door, a dozen stalls, AND the fact that it is nestled near my office all make this a TERRIFYING experience. I have always dreaded that. It is something that I used to think about when I used to work until 9:00 every night. What happens if the lights go out? Is it natural? Did someone or something turn them off?

She said it was crazy. She got dizzy because she had nothing to set her bearings on. She fell into one of the walls just trying to find her way out. She is fine. My imagination is not.

2 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Blogger ears said...

I think I might do okay in that situation. As a kid, I used to pretend I was blind and move around the house from memory. It's amazing how accurate the 3D map of familiar spaces are in your head.

I also used to pretend I had lost various limbs. Rarely more than one at once; that would be too hard. Further evidence that I was a (pseudo)only child.

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Moose Tucker said...

...or just that you were strange.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home