Monday, February 21, 2005

Corporate Comfort

I have a little fountain in my office. I purchased it at Cost Plus or Bed, Bath, and Beyond, or one of those types of places for around $20.00. The original reason for the purchase was for the fountain to act as a contradictory noise source to the incorrectly manufactured transformer that keeps me company while I work. The transformer is just outside my office and the constant hum was oppressive. My fountain, little though it may be, conquered the bellowing, yet subtle, cacophony coming from the transformer. It gurgles irregularly, often overflows, spits foamy bubbles (that I do not know the source of ) and has gorged my office plant to ten times its original size. It is the main attraction of my office. Most people who come to visit me comment on how homey and comforting my office is, and only a few of them recognize the relevance of my fountain in the atmosphere of the small, bleak space. I love my little fountain. It is small and unobtrusive. It has a small footprint on the surface of my C-shaped desk. It is corporate comfort.

2 Comments:

At 11:40 AM, Blogger ears said...

How did it make your plant grow?

Also, is it even better now that the transformer has been silenced?

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Moose Tucker said...

I am not sure why the plant does so well next to the fountain, but I think the slight increase in relative humidity in that sphere has convinced the little plant that it wants to grow more. It has become prolific.

Yes. Now that the transformer is gone it is wonderful...although it has more trouble blocking out the radio station that some workers have decided to play recently that consists mostly of Mexican pop hits, Alannis Morrisette (sp? I really don't care) and Avril.

Sometimes I cry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home