Tuesday, June 27, 2006

I've Been Tagged

Thanks be to my elder sister who has "tagged" me to relate five embarrassing moments from my childhood. Very well. I would also encourage all of you to visit her blog, listed to the right under links as "milk and karma."

Ahem. So here we go.

1) I first must protest that my sister's #4 is one of mine as well. Not necessarily because she locked the cage (reference aforementioned blog) but because I was shoved in a rabbit cage in a harem outfit with the rabbit. (FYI, I am now certain that all of you will visit her blog to get the rest of the story.)

2) I didn't really mind Middle School. I had some good friends and some great teachers and I got along pretty well with all of them. That is until one warm, spring day when I wore a little summer dress. I was sitting along the wall with my good friend, hunched backwards with my knees way in the air. All of a sudden two of the popular boys started pointing at us and laughing. Pointing and laughing. If you didn't think that people actually do that sort of thing, well I can guarantee you that they do. Especially when they can see a girl's underwear. I know, juvenile, right? Well, it wouldn't have been so bad except that I was wearing a pair of industrial grade superundies that had "Harvard" emblazoned across the posterior. Don't ask me where I got them. I have no idea. But I will never forget them.

3) There was this one time that I was supposed to start taking tennis lessons. My stepmother had gotten me this little tennis skirt and she wanted me to try it on. I had just woken up and was still wearing the giant t-shirt that I always wore to bed. I agreed, begrudgingly, and went into the bathroom, emerging with the tennis skirt on. The shirt was too big to see the skirt, so she asked me to lift up the shirt so she could see if the waist fit. I lifted the shirt up to my shoulders. In front of my father. Without a bra on. Sorry, Dad, but it had to be shared.

4) My sister and I used to make up fabulous games to keep ourselves occupied. One of the most bizarre, and the most fun, was the game where we would take my Dad's orange fuzz-lined, slick, long, black winter coat, both climb in and zip it up. I don't really know what the game was all about, but we became a super creature! The arms were too long for either of us to appropriately use, so we would just flail them around in circles. One day we knocked something over. I think it was the TV. All I remember after that is Dad being furious that we had been so careless and I just being dumbstruck that we had been moving at all, because I was the back half of the monster and couldn't see over my sister's shoulders.

5) Saved the best for last. When I was in sixth grade we had a swimming class for P.E. in January. The swim class was at the end of the day, the last period, and we had to trek up to the High school campus where the pool was for class. I had been told that if you went outside with wet hair in New Mexico in January that it would freeze and break off. I loved my hair. It was precious to me. So I would stay late after class to be sure that it was as dry as I could make it before walking back down to the lower campus to get my things for the evening. One day my friend stayed with me so that we could walk down together. The P.E. coach had asked that we turn off the lights when we left. The problem was that when you turn the lights off in the locker room, you also turn the lights off in the corridor between the pool and the gym hallway. In that corridor are three doors. The door out, the door to the girls dressing room, and the door to the guys dressing room. We turned the lights off, stumbled out of our dressing room and into the men's dressing room. There, standing before us with his pants around his ankles in his boxer shorts was our history teacher.
"Hi girls!" He exclaimed with some surprise.
We both screamed at the top of our lungs and ran all the way back to the lower campus without ever taking a breath.

P.S. I would have listed "sixth grade perm" as a most embarrassing moment, but it lasted for three months and is imortalized on my sixth grade I.D.

SPF - Your next blog, which had better be soon, shall be your five most embarrassing moments from childhood. You have been tagged.

2 Comments:

At 7:52 PM, Blogger Moose Tucker said...

I just remembered another one. When I was in third or fourth grade I chopped off all of my hair. It was horrible. I looked like John Lennon from the early Beatles. I went to the bathroom one day and this woman ran up to me before I could open the door and said "Oh, honey, the boys restroom is over there!" I looked her square in the eye, ripped the door open, and marched in.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger JQ said...

AH HA HA!!! I forgot about the coat-monster game!!! Yeah. Good times. Thanks for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home