Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Guang Hua Temple



I have no words, but I will try to find some. Today our work ended quickly as we found that we had been mislead (or rather, the truth of the manufacturing factory and its relationship with our supplier was misunderstood) so we were done with the final audits for this area around noon. Goodman and I had lunch and discussed what we should do and decided that we would rest and then visit a local temple in the afternoon, when the heat had dies down enough that we could walk around and explore.

I admit some preconceived notions here. When someone explains that there is an ancient temple in the vicinity, I think of preserved ruins, or perhaps pictorial representations of how the temple used to be, who worshiped there, and what significance the ancient ways have on the culture of today. I think of Chichen Itza, with manicured grounds, impossible stone steps, and tour guides. I do not expect to see a Mayan priest in full regalia with untrimmed fingernails about to perform an ancient ritual.

Of course my ignorance on this matter was quickly righted with the first view of a Buddhist monk walking serenely across a bridge. Ah. This is a thousand year old temple that is still in use. Gotcha.

And there I was with camera in hand, wearing jeans and a Full Metal Alchemist T-shirt on holy ground. I wish I had thought instead of Vatican City, or Notre Dame, but no, I think of Chichen Itza that has been dead and resurrected for tourist pleasure.



This temple, this Guang Hua had a very strong spirituality encompassing it. Not just in the beautifully maintained buildings, or the statues, or the monks, but the place itself, as if it sat upon a spring of unity and calmness. The most remarkable thing happened there. These monks, these ancient spirited men in a modern world are the first and only people to treat me as though, perhaps, I was meant to be there. Not one of them regarded me any differently than they regarded everyone else. I was simply another human in their presence. A person, just like every other, who was there for some purpose, but which didn't affect them in any way different from any other person. I was overwhelmed by this. I felt terribly sheepish that I had worn such garish clothing, but they didn't seem to be affected either way. They were pleasant, hard working, and open men. They were kind. Each one of them had a presence about him that seemed ultimately very content. They invited us to eat with them, but I felt as though the food would be better served to those who needed it. Every meal, it seems, they make enough food for the monks and for the visitors or any who wander in and need to be fed. It was a beautiful place.

I am afraid I cannot do it justice, even with these photographs, because I didn't want to take any pictures inside the temple out of respect, though Goodman guaranteed me that it would be okay. I did take plenty of other pictures, though, and I have posted my favorites throughout this blog. I hope they do some justice to the amazing experience that we had today.

2 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, Blogger JQ said...

This is beautiful, and it sounds truly serene. Thanks for sharing - and I'm glad you are putting up pictures for us!

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger ears said...

You just made my day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home