Monday, September 26, 2005

American Dave

I met another American today!! We were having our audit and decided to go to lunch. We all piled into the van and were suddenly waiting for someone else, though who we did not know, as all of our auditees were in the van already. Then this other guy came out and jumped in back, okay ready to go! No. Then, out of nowhere, this American guy wandered out of the building and into the van. He stopped dead in his tracks when he saw me, as if he thought I might be a mirage, and then he squinted and said "American?" in a disbelieving voice and I said "Yep."

His name is Dave. He has been here since July and will be here for at least another four months. He is working on an electric skateboard. The company that we audited today has some electronics division that he is working with. I never did figure out why he had to be here for so long, but I did figure out that I speak more Mandarin than him.

He was really very nice. 23 years old. Living life to the fullest, and apparently keeping it interesting by not learning the language. I think he was excited to speak English to people who understand automatically, though I think we were too old a crowd for him. (I know, I am terrified.) None the less, I met another American!!

3 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, Blogger JQ said...

23, wow. That's so young! I don't look at the internet for the weekend and come back to all these blogs! It's wonderful! Can't wait to see you and hear more storeis!

 
At 4:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somehow I am having a hard time getting my mind around an electric skateboard. I can just picture 23 year old American Dave getting rich off an electric skateboard!
I, too, was surprised and impressed by all the new blogs. Travel safely.

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Moose Tucker said...

It was pretty cool, actually. He says that with the right weight distribution, an electric skateboard can get you up the really steep hills in San Fransisco!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home