Thursday, September 22, 2005

Mother Nature

Mother Nature was against us yesterday. We went to an Island just off the coast of Fuzhou that has some tourist attractions and were nearly blown off the top of the island by some strong winds. We had worked our way to the top to look at a statue of a legendary woman who is supposed to have protected sailors from the sea. The wind got so bad people were falling over on the rocks and sliding along the ground despite leaning into the wind.

I thought that it would be a good idea to leave the island, seeing as how we had come by ferry and the waves were starting to pick up as well as the wind. Goodman insisted that there were more things to see. I was patient. We went to the beach to see some sand statues that have been GLUED in place. (I must admit, after being sand blasted and mutilated by the wind on that beach, I am impressed with the glue.) After that he said, we should go to another mountain to look around, and I said, we should get the hell off this island. He reluctantly agreed.

As we drove back to the ferry landing, the driver told us that the wind is not usually bad, but it gets bad like this before a Typhoon. Goodman made some crack about how we would be stranded on the island for three days. I didn't respond.

The ferry ride back was crazy. We were pitched backwards and forwards and side to side all over the place. I have been pitched in a sailboat and survived, but this was a two decker ferry, so I was a little nervous. We made it to the other side and took a taxi back to the hotel.

I am still reading about the devastation in New Orleans, and something about another hurricane on the way? Are any of us safe from Mother Nature anymore? I feel as though the days of man are beginning to be numbered if our planet has anything to say about it. Does anyone know if a Typhoon is headed my way?

2 Comments:

At 6:57 PM, Blogger JQ said...

I haven't heard anything about a Typhoon headed your way, but I am very bad when it comes to "news" and being aware of "news" as it is happening. So... any theories about all these crazy storms? I hear the term "global warming" knocked about but don't know if this is typical hysteria, media madness, or based in any truth. Hence, I try not to watch the news. Which leads me back to the "I haven't heard anything about a Typhoon headed your way." Sorry.

 
At 6:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you can get CNN you might get news about weather in your part of the world. They usually have regional reports.
Regarding global warming...who knows? We haven't really been keeping records long enough to start to see millenial+ patterns. However, I did hear a report that the ocean in the Atlantic north of Africa is about 1 degree warmer than it used to be, and that helps hurricanes form.
Do be careful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home