Monday, April 25, 2005

What the Heck am I Doing?

So, I am now in my late twenties. I know that shouldn't upset me, and in truth, in the general "My youth is almost gone" way it isn't bothering me, but there is just something that I am not comfortable with, and that is my current state in life.

Now before you all get up in arms, let me explain.

I have begun writing again for the first time in about a year. My first book took me over ten years to finish (and, to be honest, I am not sure it really is "finished".)

My second book took me over five years to "finish" and at that point I sent it to TOR, was rejected, and am now starting it over from SCRATCH.

My third book is 3/4s of the way completed and I have abandoned it with the knowledge that it is crap and needs to have a solid foundation of story for it to be built on, and that story rests firmly in the foundation of my second book, referred to as "Book 1." (Book 1 of this series.)

I haven't picked up my camera in months (except to take pictures of the Armageddon that has become my complex) and why? Because I failed miserably at my first shot at a real, professional shoot. Great.

So why am I upset? I guess most of the answer to that question is obvious, but I want to add that I am also upset because I have obviously not learned how to deal with failure. I recognize as a cognitive creative person that I will never succeed if I don't figure out how to learn from failure and become adept at proceeding on my path despite the failure. Not only despite it, but in part because of it. Have I done this? No. Can I? I am starting to doubt that I can. If I get rejected again, or if my work is terrible, I don't see any continuation on this path, which leaves me what? Corporate America forever, that's what.

So why am I really upset? Because I have now written two functional databases in Microsoft Access 2003. I am more adept at the corporate functions than I am at the creative. I have eased the flow of work processing, reduced the potential for data entry error, and increased the demonstration of compliance for a small, medical device company.

This has taken the path of career instead of paycheck.

I am in my late twenties, I am creatively stunted, and I am good at my career-job.

This was never supposed to be.

3 Comments:

At 5:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you could start by asking yourself if your creativity IS flowing--in your corporate world life. True, that is not where you want to end up, but creativity is creativity--it takes many forms. HOW do you get that creativity to flow? Could you transfer the thought and feeling processes to your art world?
Perhaps meditation and "giving up" to creativity might enable you take the pressure off your conscious self and let your subconscious self help you.
bs

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Moose Tucker said...

I don't know, my creativity seems stunted in all aspects. The databases are the only things I have "created" in months, and they are not what I would call a creative outlet.

 
At 5:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But they are! I couldn't do it. I know they are not the ceative outlet you seek, but your creativity is at work.
Before you go to sleep, ask your subconscious to help you with creative ideas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home