Wednesday, July 22, 2015

New Wall - Day 3

Well, working to complete the wall is proving difficult only because of time.  Because we run our own business and I work freelance as a writer, photographer, and educator, we are a little strapped for time, even during my summer break.  Considering that this project is entirely SPF's so far, I haven't been able to help out, though I am really trying to get lots of progress images to show all of you.  Don't worry, though, the next phase of other projects will soon be updated.  Projects that I did work on.

SPF is using both liquid nails and braces to keep the new frame in place and level.  The liquid nails by itself isn't as robust as we would have hoped, which is why there is now some liquid nails residue on the carpet.  I guess we better rip those out!

One of the many things I learned from the amazing Scott McGillivray (sigh) is that whenever you are laminating one thing to another with a liquid glue you should do an S pattern and not include any completed circles or completely entrapped areas.  This way, if there is expansion or contraction due to temperature or humidity changes, your glue won't be compromised.  So we glued this puppy with an S pattern.  (I have no idea if SPF knew that already, but I am going to imagine he did seeing as how I didn't communicate that to him and he didn't watch that much Scott McGillivray with me.)  So, YAY SPF!

The new interior frame will have the outer frame and then a new stud on the 16" mark between studs so that we can be at a standard distance for hanging the drywall.

The last little bit of frame is for the HVAC intake, which needs a sturdy frame to affix the air intake filter cover back to.  One trick is our thermostat, which is affixed to cabinet wall.  I hope it will move easily, but it does have some wiring, of course, that will need to be considered.  Hmmmmmm, considering . . .

Until next time!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Blogger Lane Pemberton said...

You definitely did a great job there, and it’s great that you’ve learned some useful tips along the way. Anyway, it’s good to know that you took time to considerate the wirings for your thermostat, otherwise things might’ve ended in a disaster. All the best!


Lane Pemberton @ Metcalfe Heating & Air Conditioning

 
At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Stained Glass Crow said...

You are not wrong. Wiring and plumbing are two fabulous things I will mostly steer clear of. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home