Sunday, July 19, 2015

New Wall - Day 1 and 2

Okay, so I don't have pictures for day one.  Mostly because I forgot how I do these things (reference the last post) and I didn't get the "before" shot.  But no worries!  Lots of other "before" things coming, and hopefully some "after"'s as well.

New Wall - Day 1 consisted of tearing out some carpet, removing some memo boards, taking back some existing drywall and removing the corner bead from the weird edge of the wall that we didn't like.

Let me go back a little.  We have this hallway where a standard wall ends abruptly and corners into the wood paneling of the cabinet that houses our HVAC unit.  The HVAC unit is in the kitchen (don't get me started on the if-I-could-go-back-in-time-I-would-have-put-it-in-the-attic-and-had-an-extra-pantry-in-the-kitchen) and the wood paneling is the same cabinet material as all of the other cabinets in our kitchen.  All of which have been refinished, with the exception of this wall and one other cabinet face.  (Again, reference previous post.)  SPF and I have never liked the weird way this wall works and I really don't want to refinish this wall as well.  Besides that, we are about to get (SPOILER ALERT) NEW FLOORS!!!!!  Sooooo, now is the time to create a new wall so that the new floors can go up to the wall and not under it.

So, SPF did the demo yesterday, bought the new supplies (2x4, drywall, drywall screws, and wood glue [sort of, he bought the wrong kind and is now with the kids returning it at Home Depot and getting the right stuff] and joint compound.)  Both our little ones, CNF and OGF helped.  :)

New Wall - Day 2

With the cut pieces read to go, SPF started to create the wall.  Here are some images from the start of it, for reference.  (Notice the two little people.  Those are new since the last remodeling project was posted here.)



This isn't a great view, but right where the little guy in the red striped shirt is standing is where the wall cuts in awkwardly.


Here is SPF starting some of the screws for the wall footer.


Here is CNF learning how to start screws for a wall footer.  (BTW, one of the most amazing parts about doing these new projects is that the little guys want to help out.)



And here is a better view of the weird wall cut in.  I can also now see that our wedding image that I suggested we take down is still up.  So, I will go and deal with that before the screwing, gluing, joint compound, and dust kick up and ruin my wedding picture.  But, you know, casualties of the remodel process.  (Did I ever tell you about the drywall patch we had to do when the new couch was delivered?  They delivered it right into the wall . . . )

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home