Sunday, July 19, 2015

The Summer of Remodeling

It's time to start up the remodel projects again.  After a very long hiatus (and two kids) we are headed for some pretty immense projects in the next few months. 

So let's get right to it.  I have still not finished refinishing the kitchen cabinets, but we are so close now!!  There are only 4 doors left, 6 drawers, and one section of cabinet face that I sadly didn't complete when it made the most logical sense - when I did ALL OF THE REST OF THE CABINET FACE.  Sigh.

So, even though I didn't start out with more images (which I forgot to do when I restarted the project, but rest assured I will continue documenting all with as much clarity as possible!) but I am almost done with the doors. 

I am still using my trusty polyurethane/mineral spirits blend to make the final coat nice and smooth with no bubbles, but I have been given extra help (or a huge delay, depending on how you look at it) by the wettest San Diego July in recorded history.  (Fun fact - the previous record for rainfall in July for San Diego was .02 inches in 1902.  Yesterday we got 1 inch and it is raining pretty continuously today!)  So, YAY!  We need the rain, but boo when you consider how long it is taking my "quick dry" poly about 24 hours between coats.  (But not really boo.  The rain is much more important than my doors.  So mostly YAY!)  So, lots of sanding, but the finish looks amazing.


So, here is the almost finished product.


Just two more applications (sanded lightly between coats) and we'll be good to go!  (At least for the doors.  The drawers and cabinet face come next.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home