Friday, October 20, 2006

Blather, Blather

Hello dearest. Can dearest be used as a collective phrase? Dearestesses?

Hello dearestesses. Ah me. I have been on the train for four hours already, though I am awaiting another hour and a bit supposing nothing goes wrong, or nothing has gone wrong that I am not aware of. I remembered to bring a DVD this time, which is awesome because two hours went by really quickly. Of course I think I damaged my ankle sitting awkwardly to balance my train dinner, laptop, and extraneous limbs between my tiny seat and the broken, perfectly erect seat next to me that is conspicuously missing its tray table but still has a pillow, where my seat does not. Oh well, bad original choice. Once committed, however, you are in for the long haul.

So let us see. I submitted my final image and associated comp book this morning to my instructor. It was an image that theoretically took three weeks to accomplish. And you though that the 8 hour Taj Mahal shot was long. Hmph. Conceptually we were supposed to come up with an idea first. I know, crazy! But, apparently, pre-conceptualizing is not something that most other students do. Perhaps that is my "My Sister the Geisha" was such a popular image. It was, after all, thought of well in advance, as well as organized, appropriately composed with background, costumes, make-up, styling, and, of course, none of that would have been possible at the drop of a hat or last minute. (Though kudos are also due to my sister who became "My Sister the Geisha.")

My original concept for this assignment was...let us say...ambitious. So egregiously ambitious, in fact, that not my peers, nor my instructor, nor his friends (also instructors) could come up with a possible method for shooting the image. Oh well, I though, I will have to come up with a new idea. Which I did. Of course that is when I spoke to my instructor from last session that I respect so much and he had wonderful ideas. So, it is an idea that I will revisit, most certainly.

I don't want to ruin the surprise, so I am not going to tell you what the image was/is. I have been discussing acquiring a website with my fellow photographers, both classmates and instructors alike, and have come to the conclusion that I should start a site soon and post my best work on it. After all, that body of work will always be a shifting, adapting collection based on my moods and jobs, current trends, and my burgeoning genius.

Oh. I have also decided to be confident. Genius.

If and when I do post a site I will send out an email to all who would be interested. I can't post it here, as the website will most definitely be purposely linked to my identity, while this sandbox is still reserved for my most verbose anonymity.

I am very tired. The comp book for this last assignment was...time consuming...to put together. I finally got to bed around 1:30 this morning, only to turn around and get up at 7:00 to complete it and finish off the presentation. I think it is very nicely done, though. Yep. It's real pretty.

Overall, though, I am not terribly pleased with my work this session. I have been distracted and lacking of vision. But I am confident that I will be able to pull myself together for the next session and again produce images worthy of comment. I haven't really commented on any of my images this session, have I? Except for my troubles with EKT 64, I haven't said much of anything.

I'm sorry.

I will tell you what we did this session in a series of short blogs starting now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home