Wednesday, September 28, 2005

The 13th Hour

In thirteen hours I will be on a flight to Shanghai. I want to come home so desperately, but I still feel as if there is a great deal that I am missing out on. I have not seen the Great Wall. I have not seen the stone army. I have not seen someone do calligraphy. Working and traveling is a terribly combination. To be in a place and not be able to see her character, her inner beauty, is a crime. I need to learn to add a few days onto the end of the trip for my own use, but then again I would be sad and lonely without some sort of companionship, and bringing SPF along would not be that easy. Perhaps someday it will all make sense. Perhaps someday I will travel freely, speak the language, and be able to absorb a culture instead of smelling it only through the car window.

Ahh, but I do return. And don't get me wrong. I am glad to be coming back. I am tired, that is certain, and both yesterday and today were close to fourteen hour days. I am running on adrenaline out of the fear that I will not wake up in time or will forget my passport or one of my bags. But, alas, I have packed everything except for this computer and my toiletries, which I will pack after I get ready in the morning. My clothes are out, my luggage rearranged to hold only those things that I need on the plane (as opposed to the trip out when my carry-on held two days clothes and essential toiletries as well as all audit documentation.) I will set my cell phone to alarm (which is charging now) and I will be on my way with my American companion tomorrow at 11:20 local time.

Is it weird that I feel like hugging the bell boy?

2 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, Blogger JQ said...

Not weird. I totally understand that. Hope your travels are safe! When you come home, we can all watch Serenity together! See you soon!!!

 
At 6:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! I want to hug the bellboy too. But even more I want to hug you! While that won't happen, I at least will get to hear you soon. Thank you for your wonderful blogs. I have a picture of China I didn't have before. Tiny, but clear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home