Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Routine

It is very difficult to come up with a positive daily routine, and even more difficult to stick to it. My goal, at some point in time, was to get up and work out for half an hour in the mornings, nothing too strenuous, but something to get the blood moving, and then to go to work, remembering, of course, to feed the cats and clean their boxes before leaving, then to work for an honest 8 hours and then come home, water the plants, change clothes, go to Kung Fu for anywhere between 1 and a half and three hours, come home, eat with my hubby, and then write for two hours before going to bed.

At this point I would be perfectly content to do at least three of those things every day. Work is easy, that is where the paycheck comes in. Writing is the most difficult, and getting back into Kung Fu after two weeks off is proving near impossible.

I once asked a runner how long it takes to make a good habit stick, and she said 60 days. And to break it? One. I then asked her how long it takes to make a bad habit stick? She said ten seconds. And to break it? A lifetime.

Hmmm. My good habits? Well, I do go to work every day.
Bad habits? Eating bad food, biting my nails, not working out...yikes.

I need to get back into a good routine!!!!

SOOOOO I have made myself a daily regimen schedule. Let's see how long this lasts. So far, out of 17 tasks that I should have completed yesterday, I completed 4. This is a bad start...but to be fair, I am really starting today and yesterday is the baseline.

Yep. Off to a good start.

7 Comments:

At 2:49 PM, Blogger JQ said...

I hear you, sista. I love a good routine, but breaking the habit feels soooooo good, it's hard to keep things so disciplined. And it sounds like your schedule is JAM PACKED. Is there any MQF down time?

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Moose Tucker said...

Well, the weekends. I am trying not to plan a "routine" activity for the weekends so that I can break out and do what I like. That way the work week routine will feel associated with certain days, and the happy, non-routine will be associated with the other days. Same goes for holidays.

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger JQ said...

Good. Let me know how it works out! I did some more work on the cyber-punk script today, trying to think up a better ending. Came up with something really tragic. Don't know if I want to go there, but so far it seems to be the most impactful ending. Hm.

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Moose Tucker said...

I would go with it. 1984 was horribly tragic and made a hell of an impact.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger JQ said...

Yeah, but now I'm thinking that was my mood, and that I want to be more uplifting, more optimistic. Maybe he can just get shot...

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger JQ said...

Keep your chin up! You are a remarkable woman!

 
At 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with jq, your schedule sounds too much like a regimen...maybe even Marine boot camp! Perhaps starting with what you know you can reasonably do without collapsing will make you successful and then you can add what you choose a little at a time.
I hope that in the routine, whatever it is, you have included time with your love, time to laugh, time to reflect, and time to do something not planned. Take it from the voice of experience, without these the others get very life-energy-sapping.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home