Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Blogging from PA

So, blogging can be cool because I am nowhere near my home, I do not have a journal present with me, and I can still post to my site and in some way contact my peeps.

I don't know what to write. I am in a training seminar for a Disaster Recovery software that my company bought. It is actually very versatile, but now I am afraid that I will be doing all of the training/compiling/writing/surveying etc. for the company. The project is technically my bosses boss' project, but what can you do? I am the low-totem-pole lackey. I don't really mind. I like project and problem solving, and if everyone else wants to be lazy and sit in their offices all day, no matter, at least I will have something to do. And probably a good amount of job security. I mean, who would want to get rid of the person that does their work for them? Not I. I imagine. I have never been in that situation. Then again, I hate delegating, because you get blamed when people don't do things correctly.

Take for instance the most recent audit I did. HUGE audit. I had five auditors reporting to me. In that circumstance you have to rely on your auditors to audit appropriately. Did they? Mostly, yes, but I come to find out that one of them broke my cardinal rule. NEVER blind side an auditee. If you have something that you think is a finding, tell them THEN AND THERE. This way, if they disagree, they can try and get you to reverse the finding and you can "discuss" until an agreement is reached. It is SO NICE. Everyone understands where they stand at the end of the day. My auditor didn't tell the auditee, didn't tell me they didn't tell the auditee, and gave me the finding in the report. So now I am trying to answer for my auditees and my report and calm the waters of disgruntledness to the best of my ability. Anger making. Of course, since my auditors don't REPORT to me, I can't do anything about this instance. Like, for example, taking him aside and flogging him until he utters "This is a finding!" with every lash.

Cest la vie. I try.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home