Monday, January 14, 2008

English Teachers

I begin my new career today. There is an immediacy, and an inherent panic, in that statement. I am preparing all of my materials, reviewing my schedule and syllabus, and occasionally reminding myself how to breathe. I have written about that before. Just breathe. Force the air in and it finds its way out, hopefully taking some distressing remnants of desperation, concern, and fear with it.

I am trying to remember those individuals in my life that I have learned from who kept me alert and alive in the face of new, and often daunting, material. Those people are my models, yet I remember a shadow of an image of how they looked; how they carried themselves in class; the casual confidence with which they delivered their information; and what ultimately led me to believe whole-heartedly in their expertise, focus, and competence. Right. I can do that. Force the breath in...

I suppose I will discover the courage tonight, at 7:00, when my fresh young minds come in and look at me with precaution and maybe even doubt. I can dispel their concerns. I can. Force the breath in...

1 Comments:

At 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And???
bs

 

Post a Comment

<< Home