Friday, June 22, 2007

What Dreams May Come

I haven’t been sleeping much recently due to school and holding down two jobs and working with an obsessive compulsion towards the immeasurably unattainable 4.0 GPA, so when I do sleep, I cherish it and relish every moment. I tell you that to establish just how rare it is that I would take time away from my sleep schedule no matter the cause. Yet when I had the dream that is documented in the following post I awoke with the inescapable realization that I had to write it down immediately as it was not only the most interesting and one of the most vivid dreams that I have ever had, but perhaps one of the most important as well.

Feel free to psychoanalyze this to death, if you like. I am pretty sure what some of the elements mean, but most of it is a mystery even to me. Take your best shot at dream interpretation, this one is ripe for analysis. I may be about to divulge my innermost secrets, fears, and aspirations, but I am not aware of it.

To avoid acronymic confusion, here is the cast of characters, whose names, though not relationships to me, have been changed for their, and my, protection:
My Sister – My Sister
Blue – The Instructor that I had several session ago that I have been working for the past four months.
Dad – Dad
Mom – Mom
Kat – A highschool friend that I haven’t spoken to since graduation
Random other participants who were invented by my subconscious that I do not know.

And thus the disclaimer ended, and the dream began…

I was waiting for a competition to begin. A challenge for what purpose I do not know. We were standing in the quad of a large university, in the grass next to a dorm of some kind. There weren’t too many competitors, but I sized them up anyway. The first was a middle-aged man with a bald crown and pate and shaggy hair several inches long around the rest of his head. Somehow I immediately assessed him as a threat and stored a mental GPS of his position relative to me as I reviewed the other competitors. The next was a young woman in sleek jogging pants and a sports bra work out top with her hair tied neatly back in a ponytail. I noticed that her shoes seemed more appropriate for physical exertion and started to worry what the challenges might be. But the next challenger was an elderly man with a smartly buttoned collared shirt and a cane made of dark wood that he lightly held in his right hand. He had glasses and a pleasant countenance and I was momentarily interested in what he started to say to the young woman when the starting gun fired and we were off. It was suddenly clear that the first task was to sprint around the building we had been standing next to. I knew at once that the young woman would win the first challenge, but she surprised me when she stopped running to walk beside the elderly man and have a conversation with him. It wasn’t a trick or a diversion on his part, he just had a genuine question, and she had the patience and generosity to stop and speak with him. I took the opportunity and bolted. I was neck and neck with the middle aged man at a brisk walk for the majority of the “sprint”. Although we were right next to each other, we never said a word, and only traded sideways glances to determine the other’s location and proximity. When the finish line was in sight, he unexpectedly sprinted and left me in his dust. I ran as fast as I could and my legs moved sluggishly beneath me and I was awarded second place.

I was disappointed by my performance and hung my shoulders somewhat as I proceeded, seemingly without my fellow competitors, to the next challenge. When I arrived, I was a little confused by the semicircle of costumed participants, led by my sister in a brightly colored, sparkly fish monster costume reminiscent of the Godzilla-inspired animated monsters on the Powerpuff girls cartoon. All of the others in costume weren’t there to participate, but instead seemed there as guides, or as obstacles, depending on your perspective. My sister stood in the middle of them, smiling brightly, though not singling me out at all and merely acknowledging me as she did all the other competitors. The circle was completed by a series of seven foot tall wire cages that were empty. It wasn’t clear what they were there for. One of the other competitors asked my sister “Where is Blue going?” and she smiled, nodded, and pointed the cage directly behind me. The cage remained empty, but I was intrigued none the less.

It was only then that I realized that the other competitors from the sprint were starting to trickle in and amongst them I saw my Dad and my Mom. Both of them were dressed in nice slacks and dress shirts with unreasonable uncomfortable looking shoes, and both were drenched in sweat from the sprint. My Dad, looking actually really fit and young, said “I’m not dressed for this.” And I replied, “I know, it’s really hot and you’re not even wearing shorts.” My sister began to explain that the next task was a labyrinth set in the library of the University. But that was all she really explained before she suddenly, and quite gleefully, yelled “Go!” Everyone raced into the labyrinth, but I stood there panic stricken and said “Wait! You haven’t explained the rules!” The only remaining people were the obstacles, all dressed as cartoonish monsters, and each and every one of them turned towards me, my sister included, her hands plaintively folded in front of her, sticking through arm holes beneath her giant, sparkling pink fins, and none of them said a word. I gasped and ran into the labyrinth behind everyone else.

The labyrinth was a towering, oppressive series of brick red walls, book cases, and off white hallways lit with flickering fluorescent lights that cast everything in a eerie green light. In the labyrinth is when we were presented with the obstacles. The monsters were roaming around, to be sure, but their costumes made them slow and ungainly and they were no real trouble. I saw several other fish, but they didn’t have face holes, as my sister did, and were just fumbling people in costumes that they couldn’t see out of. I avoided those twists and turns to avoid dealing with the blind monsters whose sole purpose in the event was to slow me down.

The next obstacle, however, was unexpected. There in the hallway, unobtrusively having a conversation with another man was Pablo Neruda. I wanted to stop and talk to him (I mean, Pablo Neruda!) but I didn’t want to lose the competition. I noticed that he was talking to another man who was also a genius of some kind, but I don’t remember how or who, but I thought to myself, “Wow! At least they are occupying each other.” And I ran past. I didn’t have a conversation with Pablo Neruda given the chance!! Once past him, I was able to get to the door leading out of the first building, which was the library, and into a hallway with a linoleum floor that led to an exterior exit. I pushed open the doors and found myself facing my sister, again with hands folded and a peaceful expression, standing on the first row of concrete seating in an amphitheater. An amphitheater on whose stage I was standing. I ignored that completely and looked to the ground, on which had been drawn a giant chalk message in concentric rings leading to a central circle in which was written three tasks. The tasks involved information that we had to seek out in the library, which was buried in the labyrinth I had just escaped. I grabbed a piece of paper set out on a folding table at the side of the amphitheater specifically for contestants, and a stubby pencil like the ones you use for miniature golf, and I wrote down the three tasks and ran back through the door I had just exited.

I found my way in the labyrinth pretty quickly to a more open area with low bookshelves that had flat, wide tops that a dozen other competitors were already using as desktop space to review the dozen atlases that they had pulled from the shelves to search for the answer for the first clue. Amidst them I saw Kat, who had always been extremely competitive, and was in her own right a gifted gymnast and extremely intimidating. She was studying her atlas with rigid concentration and seeing her there made me nervous. The information I had scribbled down was to find the word in Mayan that means “part of the soul” in regards to a ritual dance or food. I grabbed the first book that I could reach and it was a children’s book. I flipped it open and on a giant colorful page, with an illustration of a Mayan dancing and colorful text running down the righthand side of the page that said; “In Mayan, Pololoe is a word that represents “part of the soul” and is used in rituals and dance.” I discreetly wrote down the information next to the scribbled clue and replaced the book, slipping away undetected.

Once free of the open area I found my way to the stacks for the next task. The clue was to translate a Spanish phrase and determine what literary work it came from. I looked up the nouns and quickly determined that the phrase was “Whether 'tis better in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, Or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing end them?” I knew that was from Hamlet, so I scribbled that down and ran towards the next task, which was taking me back down the narrow hallway where Pablo Neruda had been, but in his place was Blue, standing somewhat nervously, barring my way. He was fidgeting with the seam on his right pant leg and refused to make eye contact more than sporadically. He smiled kind of sheepishly and said, not unkindly, that he couldn’t let me by. “It’s kind of my job” he shrugged. I was so close to winning I could feel it, and I didn’t want to let anything stand in my way. The only thing I could think to do was hastily wrap my fingers around his head, cup his cheeks in my palms, and pull him into a kiss. He stood stunned, hands extended awkwardly by his side, not sure whether to push me away or return the embrace, but before I gave him a chance to choose, I quickly turned him to the side, slipped past him, and yelled “Sorry!” over my shoulder as I ran down the hallway towards the amphitheater.

After only three hours of sleep, that is when I awoke with a start, frantically pulled out my journal and wrote the whole thing down. Despite a little embellishment for artistic license and flare, that is exactly how the dream happened. I kid you not, she had pink fins.

4 Comments:

At 10:56 PM, Blogger ears said...

-the bald man seems like an archetype for scientists.
-old man with cane: you miss kung fu.
-your sister is excitable and has a propensity for wearing exotic clothing?
-everyday people just get in your way...
-stupid fluorescent lighting. messes everything up.
-okay, so it turns out that pablo neruda is a chilean communist poet who was very influential and was referenced in the simpsons and the house of the spirits. drawing a blank.
-you feel that you must jump through ridiculous hoops just to have a chance to succeed.
-book/mayan: you unconsciously expect information to be extremely easy to find?
-after a lot of searching, pololoe seems to be the chilean word for boyfriends. um?
-blue is keeping you from reaching your full potential? this probably goes back to that issue... but at least he is not malicious.
-and i thought he was supposed to be in a cage.
-i think sister just got the best halloween costume idea EVER.

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Moose Tucker said...

Interesting interpretation. I am inclined to respond.
- Hmmm. So I see scientists as competitive threats but ultimately am stunted against beating them or succeeding against them. That is actually pretty perceptive and could be accurate.
- I do.
- Um, not really. Except for the exotic clothing. More like costumes, but fish monsters? Excitable? Uhem. I just remembered that she and I spent twenty minutes making "half faces" at each other a week ago and laughing uncontrollably until I think we both reach supersonic registers. Perhaps a little excitable.
- TRUE!
- It does! There isn't a specific color shift with fluorescent lights because they all have a different color temperature, so photographs taken in fluorescent lighting never look right!! Especially on FILM, which I prefer!!
- I respect his poetry, which I read in college as part of a Latin American literature class.
- Also very intuitive and possibly accurate! Another point here would be to acknowledge how frustrated I get when I don't understand the "rules" for success.
- Actually I think that part speaks more about how answers from childhood sometimes make more sense than Atlases.
- You got me, I have no idea where Pololoe came from in my subconscious. Doesn't sound familiar, though.
- He is! I have been feeling that a lot lately, but I hadn't put two and two together on that one. I do feel somewhat blocked by him because of his general affect towards life and students. WOAH!
- Yeah, I don't know about that.
- SHE SHOULD TOTALLY MAKE THAT COSTUME!!!

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger JQ said...

Wow - cool dream. I would also say this: It seems like there were several times when you were so caught up in the competition in the dream that you didn't stop to "live the moment" - like the jogger girl with the old man, both of whom seemed like good people (from your description) who shared a nice moment while you were engaged in the race with the middle aged man - and even though the two of you were neck and neck you didn't share any conversation. Also - not stopping to talk to a poet you respected.

Sister stuff - you got me there. :)

I also think it's interesting that your "mentor" is deliberately blocking you as part of his job.

It seems like kind of a pressure filled dream - the need to succeed is exhausting.

Let me know if any of that rings true! :)

 
At 5:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I typically do not submit in Blogs but your blog forced me to, awesome function.. grand
[IMG]http://www.sedonarapidweightloss.com/weightloss-diet/34/b/happy.gif[/IMG]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home