Tuesday, July 08, 2008

The Floor

The next logical step was to install the tile on the floor as well. When we initially purchased the tile for the shower (9 x 13 vertical tiles with the pretty, pretty accent pieces that you saw in previous posts) we intended on continuing that same tile in the 13x13 format on the floor. We only had enough money to initially purchase the tile for the shower, but we wrote down the manufacturer and style of the tile we wanted for the floor so that we could easily purchase that new tile when the time was appropriate.

Funny thing about tile. Apparently it is a fashion accessory, and as such, certain lines are terminated while others are brought on in place of the "old" style. We did not have that problem, but I just thought I would mention it. Our problem was that the entire manufacturer of our tile was apparently no longer fashionable and went out of business. That being said, they were bought out by a rival tile manufacturer who could supply us with "stock" tile that they had as the remainder of our line. We were told that we could get enough of this tile to finish our bathroom, assuming that they could locate them, ship them undamaged, and that we wouldn't screw up too badly with any one cut and ruin the entire lot. Hmmm.

For those of you that don't know me well, you don't know that I make snap decisions. It is part of my personality type. My sister knows what I am, INFJ maybe? At any rate, snap time.

No. No on the "leftovers." No on the problematic purchase. No on the matching shower and floor. I took about five minutes, found a tile that I liked, and pretty much pointed and said "that one." SPF would have preferred we take our time, look around, evaluate our choices. That is one of the major ways that he and I are different. If it weren't for him, we would be living in a cramped condo with shag green carpet and orange walls that would probably still smell like 40 year old single male. If it weren't for me, however, we may not have ordered that tile on the spot and begun the process of finishing our floor. As I think you will agree, I made a good decision.

In this image you can also see the new toilet that we purchased, which is water efficient and also matches the tub. They are both Kohler, and both Almond colored. It ties in with the original tile in the shower, but I am SO GLAD that we mixed up the colors and got a bright floor. Too much almond otherwise.


In this one you can see the fancy top of the toilet (it has moulding style edges) and also you can see that we had completed the painting of the walls. This color is Antique Photograph. I chose the tile because I had the paint swatch with me that we had chosen for the wall color, so the Antique Photograph paint led directly to the choice of this particular tile.


My feet. And a preview of the sink foot, yet to be revealed!! The paint color on the wall in this one is Dusty Canyon. It is one shade lighter than Antique Photograph on the same swatch. The reason for this is we wanted to start to lighten the rooms, one shade at a time, to lead to a lighter color in the bedroom that would still tie in to the colors of the bath. The master suite and master bath can all be seen from the hallway with the door open, so it was important for me to keep the colors in line.


In this image you can start to see how everything is coming together. The tub and toilet almost perfectly match the discontinued tile, but the rusty brown floor tile really ties together the paint and breaks up the muted almond tones.


The floor was completed only a couple of months ago. We are coming up onto new work that has been done in the last week, so stay tuned! And Little Orphan Annie says, "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home