Friday, January 18, 2008

I Think They Like Me!

Did I mention in my last blog that I have three students? My roster originally had six, three showed up the first day, then four, then two, then three again. No two classes have had the same students. No matter, though. I have wonderful students who are enthusiastic, hard-working, and respectful. They are wonderful. Right now I have two "A" students and one...who needs a little work. Those of you who know me well will know that I expect a lot out of everyone. I give 100% all the time and am insulted when others do not, so you can imagine what it means that I have two "A" students. They have been perfect students. They do not previously know and understand the material, mind you, but they are curious, attentive, and dedicated. I could not be more pleased.

As we discussed our vocabulary list, a collection of uncommon words from the essays we have been reading, I offered up the opportunity for extra credit. To gain extra points, all you needed to do was to use the vocabulary words in a comprehensive paragraph that made sense.

Two of my students wrote a song. At the beginning of class yesterday they came like minstrels down the hallway, guitar in hand, plucking out their tune and humming their lyrics under their breath. It was the first time that they weren't fifteen minutes early to class. I believe that they were practicing the song in the parking lot outside, waiting until they got it right, or until they saw the time, and came in to regale me with their newly applied knowledge.

It is quite possibly the best thing I have ever had the pleasure of hearing in my entire life. It had a bluesy riff, no doubt influenced by the vocabulary words "plaintive," "itinerant," and "contrition." Their "narrative" was soulfully expressed, as they sang of the melancholy of their "sojourn" as they waited, with broken hearts, for the "expository" life lesson and commiserated over the loss of their stolen "fez."

I will ask them for a transcribed version to frame. It was magnificent. Indeed, if I could, "A + + + + +!!!!!" and I would dance around the room. As it was I clapped, smiled, and gave them a rousing "Bravo!"

They both did tremendously well on the quiz.

2 Comments:

At 7:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds fantastic!

 
At 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those who can, do. Those who really, really can, AND can inspire others to, are called
teachers. Well done, teacher!
bs

 

Post a Comment

<< Home